Monday, February 11, 2008

surprise phone call

When the phone rang Saturday morning, I was still in bed. You know that moment when you decide if you're going to get up and answer it or let it go to the answering machine? I was glad I decided to get up and answer it as soon as I heard the reply after my "hello". "Mama Joseph?", the caller asked. Shock. It had to be an African. But who? And why? My mind raced. I don't know any Africans in America, so they had to be calling from thousands of miles away in Kenya. But who do I know that can or would spend the money for a call to America? Shock again. It wasn't bad news. It was just Baba John, our friend who owns the shop in Maralal where we buy a few groceries. He was calling just to greet us and see how we are doing. We talked for a minute and then I got Charlie on the phone for him. They talked for quite a while and he shared the good news that things are going well in Maralal. What an encouragement for us to receive a call all the way from Kenya. Thanks, Baba John.

No comments: